Nov 20, 2010

Kinda Hot for That, Isn't It?

The Old Town HOGS Poker Run was today at the Harley Davidson dealer in Brandon.  The dealership and the Harley Owners Group put on a great event to raise money for the “Paws for Patriots” program at Southeastern Guide Dogs.  My sons and I took Joey to get some good exposures for him, and to help the public understand what the program is all about.  Now I personally was never interested in owning or riding a bike, so they were last thing I was interested in looking at.  I wouldn’t have any idea what I was looking at anyway.  Shovel head, knuckle head, phillips head, they all look the same to me. I probably learned more about motorcycles from watching the TV show “American Chopper”, than from anything else.  And like a lot of people, I only watch that show for the dysfunctional family dynamics.  I can admire the craftsmanship of a beautiful custom bike, but I would have a hard time determining what parts are customized and which are stock.  I just don’t know enough about them.  I would feel a lot more at home at a MOPAR muscle car show. 
But, I had a great time talking to everybody about guide dog puppies and answering the inevitable questions about “How can you possibly give them up?”
My young sons were looking at the cool stuff at the silent auction, and checking out the Wing House girls.  The girls would come over and ask if they could pet Joey, and of course I would say yes.  They would bend over in front of me and I would feel my wife slap me in the back of the head, even though she was at work miles away and I wasn’t looking, honest I wasn’t!  My wife, Cindy, is the bike fan of the family.  When we win the lottery, she will be looking at Harleys while I am looking at boats or finding a real cherry hemi Cuda or Challenger.  She was heartbroken when she had to work today instead of coming out here. 
I got to meet some puppy raisers from the St. Pete group, but the puppy I really wanted to meet wasn’t there.  I wanted to meet meet a black lab named Elvis.  Joey and Elvis have the same sponsor and I was hoping to get a picture of the two pups together.  Elvis, if you are out there, lets do lunch sometime. 
I had a great time and all the people were wonderful.  But why are they all walking around wearing black leather jackets, vests, and chaps when it is 80 degrees? 

No comments:

Post a Comment